Monday, January 16, 2012

Flatter Yourself: The Secrets to Looking Good on Camera, Part I

This article was originally posted in May of 2011.  It's an oldie but a goodie so I thought I should repost it. Enjoy!

Are you camera shy? Many people hate the way they look on TV, but can't quite pinpoint why. A good videographer knows the secrets to showing someone off in their best light. Today, my lucky friends, I've decided to share some of these secrets with you because, hey, I'm a nice gal. Ready?

Part I of this blog focuses on Picking the Right Perspective. By perspective, I mean where the camera lens is in relation to your face. Depending on the person and the situation, the correct perspective is variable. There are three places the lens can be:

Slightly Low, Looking Up at the Subject
This is the hardest perspective to pull off. By shooting from a lower angle, the jawline becomes more pronounced so you run the risk of looking like you have a thick neck or double chin. However, there ARE times when this is appropriate. Consider teeny, tiny US Senator Barbara Boxer. When she first ran for office, her campaign ads were deliberately shot from this low angle to make her seem like an imposing figure-- someone to be reckoned with. As a Lilliputian myself, I can fully appreciate this tactic. If you're smaller in stature, slim and/or seeking world domination, this is definitely the way to go.

Even with the Subject's Eye Line
This is the safest choice in most business situations, especially for men. It's a flattering angle and puts you on level with the viewer. Every feature is in accurate and proper proportion. It's the most true-to-life perspective.

Slightly Higher, Looking Down at the Subject
Just this weekend, I offered to take a picture of a group of friends who were at a wedding. The girl with the camera reluctantly handed over her camera and I couldn't understand why-- did she think I was going to steal it? After I took the picture (from the Even perspective) she made everyone pose again while she took turned the camera around on herself, extended her arm high in the air and snapped the photo saying "I like this angle better." Now I understood why she didn't want me to take the picture! Being shot from above is flattering. It warps the proportions in the opposite way being shot from below does; the eyes look larger, the jaw looks thinner and by tilting your face up, the shadows disappear. This option is better for women than men since wide eyes and thin jaws are considered feminine features. However, if you're a woman trying to break the glass ceiling, you might want to put yourself on the "Even" playing field, literally and figuratively.

I'll bet you learned a little something, am I right? Check back next week for some lighting and framing tips.

You may have noticed that our blog page now has sponsors. These sponsors make it possible for us to provide free production advice week after week.  Please click on their ads!

Welcome to Plum Productions

There's no better way to show potential customers what you have to offer than with video! Whether you need a 30 second commercial or a 30 minute training video, Plum Productions gets the job done. Our award-winning producers will whip up a script from scratch, coordinate your shoot and create a video that sizzles. We'll work within your budget and your timeline and deliver a finished product you'll be proud to call your own.