Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I Swear, I'm Telling You the Truth.

I always like to give my clients the cold, hard facts about video production.  I do this to ensure they have realistic expectations and to make sure they understand why things are done the way they are.  Once in a while, I encounter a little resistance and disbelief about the process, but I swear I'm just giving you the facts!  Below are the universal truths about creating TV magic.

Truth #1: Yes, it really does take that long.
Video production is slow.  It's tedious.  There's a lot of set up involved in a professional shoot.   There are many retakes and tweaks. Because of this, you must have realistic expectations about how much shooting can be accomplished in one day.  All of the set up and retakes and tweaks are what make the finished project look professional; be grateful for them!

Truth #2: I can't fix everything in editing.
There are many boo-boos that can be fixed in post production.  Color correction? No problem.  Flub your lines?  I can probably clean it up.  But I can't paint out your cold sore.  I can't change the camera angle so we see less of your neck (yes, I've been asked that before).  Before we start rolling, I will show you what the shot looks like on a monitor, so look closely and speak up if there's anything that bugs you.  I want you to be pleased!

Truth #3: Music costs money. 
I always factor in the cost of purchasing commercial music when I submit on a bid on a project.  Sometimes people question it-- they've never considered where the music comes from.  Many people make a living writing and recording background music and selling it to people like me who make videos for people like you.  Sometimes clients request popular songs, but using those requires permission and a hefty fee. 

Truth #4: A standard camera crew doesn't include hair and makeup.
I'll always have pressed powder on hand in case you get shiny, but that's it.  If you want your hair and makeup done professionally on set, they have to be specially requested ahead of time and they can be expensive.  If you need a cost cutting alternative, go to the salon and have your hair and makeup done there right before the shoot.  It's much cheaper than having them come to us.

Truth #5: The script and storyboard really do need to have your approval before we get rolling.
Changing the script before a shoot is simple; reshooting to match a revised script is not.  Sometimes people get very excited about a shoot day, so they try to rush it before they have a concrete idea of what the finished video will look like.  Save yourself time, money and frustration: get your ducks in a row before pulling out the camera.





Welcome to Plum Productions

There's no better way to show potential customers what you have to offer than with video! Whether you need a 30 second commercial or a 30 minute training video, Plum Productions gets the job done. Our award-winning producers will whip up a script from scratch, coordinate your shoot and create a video that sizzles. We'll work within your budget and your timeline and deliver a finished product you'll be proud to call your own.